Monday, July 4, 2011

I got nothing to do today but smile...



Two little girls were hastily pushed to get into the car. The elder one, aged 5, sulking away to glory, not ready to listen to a thing. She had tried with all her might not to go that day. The younger, probably too young to be bothered, carried on her talk with her two dolls which she clutched tightly. Summer holidays were on and they were visiting their farm house along with their grandfather.
 “Why are you sad?” their grandfather questioned the elder one. “I don’t feel like travelling in your car, it does not have an AC!” came the blunt yet honest, immature reply...  “Ahh… so here lies the problem”, replied their grandfather. “Well we can always go with our windows open... Can’t we?”
“My hair style will get spoiled in the wind!” she fired her taunting reply at him yet again. (Mind you her hair was cropped so close that you could barely get a handful in your fist).  “My dad’s car has an AC. Just yours doesn’t. Its terribly hot inside but I can’t risk my hair.”
The grandfather couldn’t stop smirking in the back seat. The younger one still too engrossed in her play, doubtless about the talk, didn't matter the heat, nor the wind.
“Who says I don’t have an AC?” beamed their grandfather as he quietly opened the ash tray which was built in the front dash board of the car. “See here it is! It is just not as efficient as your dad’s. Plus, it cools a bit slowly.”
“Oh! You too have one. I am sorry I didn’t know. Now nothing is wrong. I am totally fine. And, I love you baba.” She moved closer to where he was seated and gave him a tight hug. Finally at peace, the three of them drove silently on towards their destination.
The heat in the car no longer bothered anyone, everyone just drove happily..

Sometimes…
 I sit and think about the childhood that I left behind,
To me it was unremarkably kind,
Those halcyon days, those innocent times,
Those pretty frocks, those trivial  crimes. 


P.S. - The above is my most vivid memory of my grandfather, he passed away when I was five. I didn't get to complain much to him. For me, he will always be the man who hugged me so tight that I could never breathe. The man who bought me everything I lay my finger upon. He finished my meals so that I would escape the scoldings. 

4 comments: